The YCL-221 is an ideal first buy for the aspiring bass clarinet player. It is a reliable first or doubling instrument that allows access to the bass clarinet repertoire and bass lines in concert bands, clarinet choirs and orchestra.
Never before has there been a student model bass clarinet with such a rich, warm sound. The YCL-221 has a tone quality very close to that of a professional instrument; it's hard to believe it isn't made of top grade Grenadilla.
Plus the easy playability and accurate intonation will help any young musician sound better.
The secret of this remarkable instrument is the fact that it has the same basic body specifications and tonehole designs as the Yamaha pro model bass clarinets.
Our guide to buying your first clarinet will help you know what to look for and explains the many features found on a clarinet.
- Design Based on Pro Model -Yamaha use the same materials and special crafting techniques as on their pro model YCL-621 to form the bell and neck giving improved roundness for better resonance. All key systems were also designed based on the 621 for smooth comfortable performance
- A Natural Neck Angle -The YCL-221 boasts a neck angle similar to a soprano clarinet for natural feeling comfort, endurance, and playability. Only Yamaha with its hi-tech production capability can offer this neck angle on a student model
- Easy to Hold/Easy to Play -The YCL-221 key positioning is ergonomically designed for comfort, while the ABS resin body is much lighter than wooden models making it easier to hold and play, and the attractive matte finish looks the same as a pro Grenadilla model
- Stronger Keys -After extensive research, Yamaha metallurgists have come up with a new stronger alloy for the key mechanism. This enhanced durability is especially important on a bass clarinet with its long key rods
- New Register Key Design -The positioning and size of the register key tonehole was scientifically determined to give the most accurate intonation and strong tonal projection. The new register key mechanism has been created for stable smooth action
- Easy to Assemble -A rounded key connector ensures that the keys fit together during assembly of the upper and lower joints. And Yamaha's unique combination of natural cork complemented by synthetic rings facilitates effortless assembly
- Thumbhook -The thumbhook is adjustable for comfortable positioning of the right hand. Made of ABS resin, it can flex a little to prevent chaffing, but is extremely strong
- Model: YCL-221II
- Key: Bb to Low E
- Material: ABS
- Keywork: Silver Plated
- Mechanism: Full Keywork
- Finish: Black
- Mouthpiece: Yamaha 4C
- Lyre Box: Yes
- Playing Spike: Yes
- Warranty: 2 Years
Because the YCL-221 body separates into two pieces, it fits into a very compact and lightweight case.
This attractive and stylish case is made to stack for easy storage, and offers extremely durable protection for the instrument.
It also comes with a user friendly 4C mouthpiece, ligature, cap, cleaning swab, polishing cloth, cork grease, reed and an owner’s manual.
Claim your extended 5 year warranty: https://uk.yamaha.com/en/support/warranty/winds-extended-warranty.html
Register for 3 months free Tomplay access: https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/winds/tomplay/index.html